Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do
Narragansett Rhode Island
- The town of Narragansett is located in Washington County.
- According to the 2010 census the population is 15,868.
- Narragansett runs along the eastern bank of the Pettaquamscutt River to the shore of Narragansett Bay.
- In 1888 Narragansett separated from South Kingstown & incorporated in 1901.
- Size: 37.8 Sq Miles (14.1 Sq Miles of land & 23.6 Sq Miles of water)
- Zip Code: 02874, 02879, 02882
- Beaches: Narragansett Town, Scarborough, Robert Wheeler & Salty Brine.
- Town of Narragansett Official Website
Real Estate Facts
% of Value
Biz / Personal Prop
Hanna Robinson Tower
- The Hannah Robinson Tower is 40 feet tall.
- Named in memory of Hannah Robinson, born in 1746 and passed in 1773, was the daughter of Rowland Robinson Jr a member of the community of Narragansett's planter society.
- The entire tower is made of wood and located at the corner of Route 1 & Route 138.
- Built in 1938 by the Civilian Conservation Corp was rebuilt in 1988 using the same pillars.
- The structure was originally 100 feet tall and used in World War II as an observation tower.
- It overlooks the Atlantic Ocean & Narragansett Bay.
Brenton Reef Light
- On March 3, 1851 Congress appropriated $15,000 for the first Brenton Reef Lightship. Silas H. Cottrell & Company of Newport built the LV 14 or Ledyard. It was launched on December 31, 1852 and was placed on Brenton Reef the following March.
- This steel lighthouse was decommissioned in 1989 because it was deteriorating.
- In 1992 the lighthouse was dismantled and sunk off Long Island as part of an artificial reef.
- These type of towers were known as Texas Towers.
- This tower originally a manned station, with living quarters and a galley.
- There was an engine room
Point Judith Lighthouse
- The Point Judith Light is located on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island as well as the north side of the eastern entrance to Block Island Sound.
- There have been 3 structures located on this site.
- The first structure was first built in 1810.
- The lighthouse was first lit in 1857.
- The lighthouse was automated in 1954 and is currently active.
- In 1871, the fog horn signal was changed to a whistle, which distinguished it from the Beavertail Lighthouse.
Narragansett Public Library - Maury Loontjens Memorial Library
- Address: 35 Kingstown Rd Narragansett RI 02882
- Phone: (401) 789-9507
- Maury Loontjens Memorial Library Website
|Atlantic Beach Park||321 Atlantic Ave||SITE||401.322.0504||Salt|
|Captain Roger Wheeler State Beach||100 Sand Hill Cove Rd||SITE||401.789.8374||Salt|
|Narragansett Town Beach||Boston Neck Rd||SITE||401.782.0658||Salt|
|Salty Brine State Beach||254 Great Island Rd||SITE||401.789.8374||Salt|
|Scarborough Beach||Ocean Rd||SITE||401.789.2324||Salt|