Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do
- The town of Newport is located within the boundaries of Newport County.
- Newport was incorporated in 1639.
- 2010 Census notes 24,672 people live in this town.
- Located on Aquidneck Island.
- Size: 11.5 Sq Miles (7.9 Sq Miles of land & 3.5 Sq Miles of water)
- Zip Code: 02840
- Home of the famous Newport Mansions.
- Newport is host to many festivals during the summer months.
- Town of Newport Official Website
- Newport RI Historic Photos of Flickr
- Newport Historic Sociket
Real Estate Facts
% of Value
Biz / Personal Prop
Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge
- Type: Suspension Bridge
- Connects: Newport (Aquidneck Island) & Jamestown over Narragansett Bay
- Built: 1969
- AKA: Newport Bridge
- Operated by: Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority
- Hwy: RI 138
- Span: Main span 1,601 Ft. Overall span: 11,247 Ft.
- Ranking: #70 among the longest suspension bridges in the world, the longest in New England.
- The bridge is the only toll road in RI.
Artillery Company of Newport
- Official Website
- Chartered in 1741 by King George II of Great Britain.
- Currently a ceremonial unit of the RI Militia.
- The company provides cannon salutes, color guards and honor guards for the official state and local ceremonies as well as patriotic and veterans events.
- Museum: 23 Clarke St Newport RI. The museum houses one of the country's most extensive collections of military uniforms and memorabilia.
- The museum also contains uniforms worn by Prince Phillip, Lord Louis Mountbatten, & field marshal Sir Bernard Montgomery of Alamein.
- Check the official website for hours of operation or call: 401.846.8488.
Weird RI Laws
In Newport you cannot smoke a pipe after sunset!
- Official Website.
- Built by John Bannister.
- Today 20 shops and galleries offer a diverse selection, but was once an integral part of Newport life.
- Must see: Clarke Cooke House Restaurant (a well preserved 18th century dining room provides the environment to enjoy his creation).
- Find tourist & shopping areas with on a beautiful marina.
- Famous restaurants and history galore!
- Looking to stay overnight? Try the Wharf Accommodations. Space is limited so call in advance: 401.846.4500 or email.
Newport Harbor Light
- AKA Goat Island Light was built in 1842.
- Coordinates: 41.4933°N 71.3270°W
- The first light on Goat Island was constructed in 1823-1824, but was later transported to Prudence Island in 1851 where the structure still remains as the Prudence Island Light.
- In 1864 an attached lighthouse keeper's house was built.
- In 1921, a submarine hit the breakwater, damaging the foundation of the keeper's house.
- In 2000 the Coast Guard leased the light to the American Lighthouse Foundation; it is managed by the Friends of Newport Harbor Lighthouse.
Ida Lewis Light
- Coordinates: 41.4778°N 71.3264°W
- Located on Lime Rock in Newport Harbor.
- Built in 1854.
- The original light was deactivated in 1927 and the automated light was deactivated in 1963.
- Formally Lime Rock Lighthouse.
- Named after Ida Lewis who was the lighthouse keeper when her husband passed away in 1857 after only a few months as keeper.
- Her daughter, also named Ida Lewis also tended the light and was officially named lighthouse keeper 1879 to 1911.
Newport, RI Dog Parks
Newport Dog Park
105 Connell Hwy, Newport, RI
Newport Public Library
- Address: 300 Spring St Newport RI 02840
- Phone: (401) 847-8720
- Newport Public Library Website
- According to the library website, "The Newport Public Library is a member of the Federal Depository Library Program. We maintain a small but selective collection of government documents for the public. These items do not circulate but are available for use whenever the library is open."
|Easton's Beach||175 Memorial Blvd||SITE||401.845.5810||Salt|
|Fort Adams State Park||Harrison Ave||SITE||401.847.2400||Salt|
|King Park||Wellington Ave||SITE||401.845.5800||Salt|