Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do
New Shoreham Rhode Island
- The town of New Shoreham is located within the boundaries of Washington County.
- New Shoreham was incorporated in 1672.
- 2010 Census notes 1,010 people live in this town.
- New Shoreham is named for Shoreham, Kent in England.
- Size: 109.5 Sq Miles (9.7 Sq Miles of land & 99.8 Sq Miles of water)
- Zip Code: 02807
- Block Island is located 13 miles south of the coast of RI.
- The Nature Conservancy added Block Island to it's list of "The Last Great Places".
- Town of New Shoreham Official Website
Real Estate Facts
% of Value
Biz / Personal Prop
Block Island Ferry
- Official Block Island Ferry Website.
- Based in Point Judith (Narragansett)
- The Only year-round ferry to Block Island.
- Traditional Ferry Service: 55 Minutes each way
- High Speed Ferry Service: 30 Minutes each way.
- The ferry transports passengers, passenger vehicles, commercial trucks as well as hipping freight.
- The Fleet consists of MV Block Island, High Speed Ferry Athena, MV Anna C, MV Carol Jean, MV Nelseco, & MV Manitou.
- The Block Island Ferry FACEBOOK page.
Block Island North Light
- The first light on the site was built in 1829.
- The current structure at Sandy Point is the fourth lighthouse built on the site and was made of granite and iron in 1867.
- The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
- Deactivated in 1973. Relighted in 1989.
- A wind generator and solar panels provide much of the power for the building.
- Optics: Seven oil lamps and 16-inch parabolic reflectors (1829); Fourth order Fresnel (1868)
Block Island Southeast Light
- Construction on the lighthouse began in 1874, after Congress and President Ulysses S. Grant approved $75,000 in funding for the project 2 years prior. Construction was completed in 1875 by T.H. Tynan of Staten Island. The original station was built in the Victorian Gothic style with a 67 feet (20 m) tall octagonal light tower. Connected to the tower is a 2- 1/2 story keepers residence.
- Architect: US Light House Board; Tynan, T.H.
- Architectural Style: Gothic.
- The lighthouse has a museum displaying the original Fresnel lens.
Island Free Library
- Address: Dodge Street, PO BOX 1830, Block Island RI 02807
- Phone: (401) 466-3233
- Island Free Library Website
- According to the library website, "The Trustees of the Island Free Library, its staff, Friends group and volunteers share a vision of literacy and enrichment for all Block Island residents and visitors alike. All Island Free Library resources- human, financial, material and time- work cooperatively and cohesively to create an institution where all may be educated, entertained, enriched and supported."
New Shoreham Beaches
|Charleston Beach||Coast Guard Rd / Champlin Rd||SITE||401.466.3200||Salt|
|Fred Benson Town Beach||7 Corn Neck Rd||SITE||401.466.7717||Salt|
|Mansion Beach||Off Corn Neck Rd||SITE||401.466.3200||Salt|
|North Light Commission||Corn Neck Rd||SITE||401.466.3213||Salt|