Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do
Westerly Rhode Island
- The town of Westerly is located in Washington County.
- Established in 1669 by John Babcock.
- The 2010 census totals the population at 22,787.
- Some of the well known beaches are: Weekapaug Beach, Westerly Town Beach, Misquamicut State Beach, East Beach and Watch Hill Beach.
- Located off Watch Hill is an abandoned, nearly lost, fort called: Napatree Point (see below).
- Size: 74.8 Sq Miles (30.1 Sq Miles of land & 44.7 Sq Miles of water)
- Zip Code: 02808, 02891
- Town of Westerly Official Website
Real Estate Facts
% of Value
Biz / Personal Prop
Napatree Point (Multi Level Abandoned Fort)
- Located on a 1.5 mile peninsula in Block Island Sound sound of Little Narragansett Bay. This site contains many explorable patches of ruins from doorways, stairs, and more.
- It is the southernmost and western most point of mainland Rhode Island, which is an extension of Watch Hill.
- During the hurricane of '38 all of the homes located on the now non-existent road were buried at sea. People still find treasures along the dunes & barracks.
- Please note this is a wildlife preserve.
The Bobcock-Smith House
- Located at 124 Granite Street Westerly RI 02891
- Phone: 401.596.5704
- FACEBOOK & WEBSITE
- A Georgian Mansion erected in 1734 was the former home of the Babcocks and Smiths.
- This museum is a must see for historians & antique lovers!!!
- Hours vary, so check out the official Bobcock-Smith Website for more details.
- Fun Fact: in 1772 Joshua was appointed the first colonial postmaster of Westerly with the post office located in this house.
- Wilcox Park is both a park and an arboretum.
- Location: 71 High St Westerly RI.
- Added to the National Register of Historic Places: 1973.
- The Wilcox Historic District, which includes Wilcox Park, encompasses 84 houses / buildings of the surrounding neighborhood and covers 50 acres.
- Designed in 1898 by Warren H Manning.
- Currently contains a dwarf conifer garden, herb garden, garden of the senses and a perennial garden.
- On site: Wilcox Memorial Fountain (1930), a tree memorializing Rocky Marciano, and also the location of the Summer Pops & Shakespeare in the Park productions by the Colonial Theatre.
Westerly Public Library
- Address: 44 Broad St, Westerly RI 02891
- Phone: (401) 596-2877
- Westerly Public Library Website
- According to the library website, "The Westerly Public Library is located in the heart of downtown Westerly, Rhode Island. The Library is open 65 hours each week, and the collection includes books, magazines, compact discs, DVDs and videos, all totaling more than 170,000 items. We are a member of the statewide Ocean State Libraries consortium and can therefore offer library card holders access to 45 shared library collections in the state of Rhode Island; We make every attempt to get our patrons what they ask for! "
- The library first opened its doors to the public in 1894.
|Dunes Park Beach||665 Atlantic Ave||401.322.0935||Salt|
|Misquamicut State Beach||257 Atlantic Ave||SITE||401.322.3083||Salt|
|Napatree Point||Off Fort Rd||800.732.7636||Salt|
|Watch Hill Beach||151 Bay St||SITE||401.348.6007||Salt|
|Westerly Town Beach||365 Atlantic Ave||SITE||401.348.2784||Salt|